Photobucket

November 21, 2011

Monday Memes


Hosted by Miz B at Should Be Reading 
Today's question:
How do you decide to read a book by an author you haven’t read before? What sort of recommendations count most highly in making that decision?

My answer:
BB or before blogging, I would make my decisions  solely based on the synopsis on the back of the book.  Since I wasn't surrounded by those who enjoyed reading, recommendations by mouth were far and few between.  But since I have found this community, I still rely on the synopsis, but now, also rely on other bloggers' reviews.  

Some bloggers may give stellar reviews on books, however, if the genre is not one that I enjoy, I am not going to purchase the book simply because of that review.  I have to enjoy premise of the book overall. 

What about you?  How do you decide to read a book by a new author?











7 comments:

Nise' said...

I totally agree! The recommendation of other bloggers has had me reading books I would never have picked up otherwise.

https://booksthoughtsadventures.com said...

I think that way,too...I like blogger reviews but I also go to Amazon to see ratings and read the Booklist synopsis...that helps me tons.

Most of the time it is just a sort of gut feeling...that I know will love this book.

Gigi Ann said...

I've bought a few books just because I love the cover art. But mostly I read what is written on the book, or if I'm home I do some reading of book bloggers reviews.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I find most of my "new to me" authors through other book blogs.

caite said...

BB...I love that...lol
I get recommendations from Library Thing and always check the new book section at the library
but fellow bloggers are probably my number one source of recommendations..like I need more books..lol

bermudaonion said...

I get my recommendations from bloggers and a few close reading friends and family members.

Carol N Wong said...

Sometimes, I fall in love for the cover. A lot of times, when I really like a book, I look at those places like on Amazon or GoodReads where they say, if you like this book, you may like this one. Often that is how I start reading different authors.


Carol Wong