Photobucket

October 17, 2010

Slapdash Sunday Topic: The Chilean Miners' Rescue

SUNDAY

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hosted by Kayla at The Eclectic Element
Slapdash Sunday is a day for your proverbial week 'leftovers.' Is there something you wanted to say, but just forgot? Is there something you want to write about, but isn't worth a whole page? Do you have a random thought, funny or otherwise that needs to be written down?
That is what Slapdash Sunday is for!
This week I think everyone either saw, heard of or read about the successful rescue of 33 Chilean miners.  I watched it in between blogging and reading, since my TV is on a cable news station at all times ever since 9/11.  And in this day and age of instant everything, the WORLD was watching this historic rescue.  Think about it.....a small community in Chile where 33 miners went to work one morning, like they do every day, ordinary people making a living, and then becoming a world wide news story and WATCHED by the WORLD, as they reemerged from the mine in real time (once again I may be dating myself).

The other night at supper, hubby and I had, what I thought to be, a thought provoking discussion.  So much so, that I thought I would ask the questions today.  He had been listening to Talk Radio on his drive home from work and the discussion was...
Do you think that the rescue was so successful because of divine intervention, technology or something else?

We then started discussing how these 33 ordinary men, who became WORLD known because they survived 69 days, that their personal lives also became WORLD known.  Should a line have been drawn between TV ratings and respect for these men?  Is that also part of the "instant gratification" syndrome.   Did the WORLD need to know the facts of their lives, that some had personal problems, their medical history, what their family consisted of, etc etc.  Think about it, one morning you wake up and start your daily routine, in your little corner of the world and then you are thrown into a traumatic situation, not knowing the outcome between life and death, and then the joy of knowing you will be saved, but then realizing that the WORLD knows everything about you and your life?
Should personal information of these 33 men have been broadcasted?
Can you even begin to imagine going through this trauma?
How do you think you would react if you were one of these courageous men?

Would love to hear your thoughts!!!  Lets have a Slapdash Discussion!!



6 comments:

Carol said...

I believe it was a little of all of those things that helped those 33 miners to survive such and ordeal and be rescued.
Divine intervention....those men had faith in God, their families and their rescuers.
Technology.....I wonder if their faith in being rescued and their physical and mental state would have survived the 69 days without the video link up keeping them in touch with the outside world, even to the point of watching a football match!
something else.....I am not sure what the something else was because it seemed an impossible task when we first heard of their plight.

I do believe that, in this case, the media helped those men but do hope that they can settle now to recovering from their ordeal and be left alone (I fear this wont be for a while yet).
There are situations though, that I really do feel the media are out of order and cross the line of dignaty and privacy, such as when they show people suffering, dying even. This is a personal time and the media are intruding. At times like these I feel I should not be caught up in wanting to watch the news or read the papers.

carol

CMash said...

Carol:
Well said. I too think it was both, their faith and technology. My hubby did tell me, but I haven't verified this story, that someone called the radio station and said that the miners were on their way out when they spotted a butterfly. They couldn't believe that this butterfly found its way into the mine, so they stopped and watched it and it was then and ahead of them that the mine collapsed. Hubby did say that the radio station verified the story.
I also agree that the media crosses the line just for ratings. I think that the personal facts should be just that, personal, and not for the world to know.

bermudaonion said...

I really admire the strength of those men and doubt I would have survived such an ordeal. I do not think all of their personal histories needed to be broadcast around the world.

CMash said...

I totally agree Kathy. Just having gone through such a trauma and then to learn that the whole world knows everything about them, what must they be going through. I think that I keep saying to myself, just ordinary people and now the whole world knows, just mind boggling.

Aisle B said...

I'm more on the miracles of life that help man to overcome great obstacles. This was a miracle and my heart goes out to all the families that came out safe and so much stronger in the end.

CMash said...

For all 33 to come out safe, in my opinion, is a miracle. Especially when hubby related "the butterfly" story to me. I hope after all they have gone through, that there is any after affects.