Photobucket

August 22, 2010

Slapdash Sunday Topic: One Book vs. Multiple Books

SUNDAY


Photobucket
Hosted by Kayla at The Eclectic Element
Slapdash Sunday is a day for your proverbial week 'leftovers.' Is there something you wanted to say, but just forgot? Is there something you want to write about, but isn't worth a whole page? Do you have a random thought, funny or otherwise that needs to be written down?
That is what Slapdash Sunday is for!
(And since I am always asking questions, I truly believe this is another form of learning, this meme is perfect for me)
This past Thursday, there was a question for the meme Booking Through Thursday.  Kathy from Bermudaonion and I discussed it a little.  So I then started thinking........
Photobucket
That this would be a good Slapdash Sunday Topic!!!
The question was:  Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?

As far back as I can remember, and believe me that is a long way back, I have never read more than 1 book at a time.  I am amazed at the number of bloggers that read multiple books at a time.  I don't quite understand this concept.  For me, when I read, it is for pure pleasure, entertainment and enjoyment.  I want to give all my attention to my current read.  If I were to read more than one book, I would think that I would mix up the characters, plot, where I last left off, etc etc.

So my questions for today are:  Do you read one book at a time?  Or are you a multiple book reader?  If you are reading more than one book, what makes you pick up one over the other?  Do you get the plots confused?  Do you have to reread the last chapter read to refresh your memory?  Do you find it enjoyable reading more than one book?  Do you find that you get the same enjoyment out of reading multiple books as compared to reading one at a time?  What is the greatest number of books that you have read at one time?

Since I have never read more than one book at a time, maybe I am missing out, so would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!!  What do you think about this topic?  Let's have a Slapdash Discussion!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
In my 20's I could read several at a time and be able to keep the plots straight. Now I can maybe read two at a time, especially if one is NF. At the moment I have four books left that I've read a few chapters in and just finished the fifth one. I'll settle in one and try to finish it before going to the others, but it'll depend on what my brain feels like doing. Two are historical, same time period actually, so I can't do both of those. Great question and I'm sure you'll get lots of interesting responses.

bermudaonion said...

I'll come back later to see what people have to say, since I'm a one book at a time gal, like you. I just don't think I could get as lost in the story if I had several plots banging around in my head at the same time.

Aleksandra said...

I'm actually doing both :)
I used to read only one book at a time, but now I've started reading more than one book at a time & for that, I'm blaming my reading mood, which became changeable :)
For example, this week I did both: I was reading at the same time Something About You by Julie James and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett & I loved them both. After I finished them, I read only Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott & after that I read only When It Happens by Susane Colasanti! So, I'm doing both :)
As for what makes me pick up one over the other, it only depends on my mood :) I'm reading & loving almost all genres, so it depends what I'm in a mood for! I also don't read books from the same genre at the same time, so I've never confused the plots or the characters. I read too only for pleasure & when I read a book, I want to enjoy the most I can, so that's why when I'm not in a mood for a romance or some other genre that I'm reading, I put away that book & I return to it later when I'll be in a mood :) Also, I can start a book & read around 100 pages & than put it away for a while, although I enjoyed it. At the moment, there are 6 books like that which I plan to return to them & I still remember for each of them what the last chapter I read was about :) so I never have to reread the last chapter. I think that if I forget where I was, than I'll start again the book :)
If I'm enjoying the books, it doesn't matter if I'm reading only 1 or more books at the same time, although I think it's better to read only one book :) The most books I've read at the same time is 3 books, I've done that a few times, but a while ago I was reading 3 books that I just couldn't put it down & I was literally rotating them all at the same time 'cause I couldn't wait to see what will happen in all of them & after that, I decided not to read more than 2 books at the same time, so it wouldn't happen to me that again ;) & to be careful which books I read at the same time :)

Aisle B said...

Hi Girl,

Like you I'm a ONE BOOK WOMAN! Unable... or rather will not read more than 1 at a time since I feel I have to finish the 1 before embarking on another. Let's just say that I multitask terribly in the book world. Have to finish one or I'll feel anxious about reading the other at the same time. Plus being my age ... I will elapse into brain deficiency issues way faster than I WANT TO! Heck where did I put my contacts... boingo... their on my eyeballs already... case in point... So yours truly will remain a 1 book woman forever...

Unless I have to read a 3000 page tome which will make my Aisle B review to 1 for the MONTH! Arghh... then I kick in the wholesome... cartoons are books too rights to play. Which reminds me have to start the Passage (600 plus pages...) get ready for those cartoons... ;)

Gigi Ann said...

I like to read one book at a time. I read for enjoyment and entertainment. So why confuse my self with more then one book. Although, last winter I tried reading 3 books, I thought I would never finish any of them. It took to long to read three at a time. Therefore, I will be a one book reader, even though I can't wait to get into reading all the books on my book shelves.

Haylee said...

I'm on the one at a time bandwagon. I get confused if I read more than one at once!

Julie P said...

Usually I read only one book at a time, but I am forcing myself to try and read outside my comfort zone so I am reading a classic (Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen) and one of my normal genres (Trans-Sister Radio by Chris Bohjalian). I refuse to give up my contemporary fiction, so I am reading two right now.....