Photobucket

December 7, 2011

What's one or two or more more?

Challenges, so much fun!!  It's like being a kid again.  Or maybe it isn't and I am just plain addicted!!  But it is FUN!!!  I know a lot of them I probably wont complete but I will try my darnedest.  Some of them are just fun to see my progress throughout the year.  


I participated last year, didn't complete it, but it was fun!!!  So I'm doing it again.
It was great to see all the places I visited, without having to pack, or the cost of a flight and hotel room.  Want to travel with me?  Then here's all the info:




Sign Up Time: 2012 WHERE Are You Reading Challenge

Wow where did the year go?  Here we are in December already and its time to post this challenge again.  I started this one in 2011 and had so much fun with it.  You can see my 2011 map here.
So what is the point of this challenge?  It is to try to read in each of the 50 States between January 1 2012 – December 31, 2012. 

So how do you decide what state a book is categorized under?

1.  In a fiction read it would be the State or Country that the book spends the most time in.  (Ie. If your main character is from Wisconsin but the book is all about his/her time in college in California – the books should categorize under California….)
2.  Non fiction reads categorize  in whatever State or Country it is about (Ie…. a book about fly fishing in Colorado is a Colorado point, and a book about women in Afghanistan is an Afghanistan point.
3.  If the book goes from one state to another… go with the state that most of the time is spent.

How to get started

Set up a map under Google Maps.  It is easy to do!  Every time you read a book in 2012, upload a cover picture to Picasa Web Albums (there may be other sites to use, feel free to use what works best for you).
Grab the challenge button here for your posts and sidebar:

Questions?

Do you have to have a blog to participate? No.  You can do everything on the map above without linking the book to a review.
Do I have to have my post up by January 1st, 2012? No, but I would think you would want to get started right away at the beginning of the year.  However, you will be able to sign up throughout January as well.
How will people see my map? There are a couple of possibilities.  On your original challenge post you should have a link to your map.  You could also put it on your side bar to draw interest to it (see mine on my left side bar)  I will be linking my map to every review I will also set up a monthly link here to post updates if you wish.
I dont get it – I cant figure out how to use Google maps but I really want to participate! No worries!   You are welcome to create a challenge post that lists the 50 states (as well as bonus out of USA spots) and then fill them in as you read in the areas.
Do audio books count?  ABSOLUTELY!
Once you are ready and have your map set up please create a blog post (those who have blogs) using the Challenge picture of the map I provided above as well as link to this post so others may join in.  Then come back and link that post here to Mr Linky (below) so I as well as other participants know that you are participating and we can pop in throughout the year to check out your map and how we are all doing.
This is actually a fun and easy challenge as all books you read qualify and it will be fun to see where you generally read books from as well as searching out books to fill in areas that you need.
For those who have covered the 50 states by the end of 2012, they will go into a drawing for a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble or to Amazon.  **  All other areas beyond the 50 states are bonus points and we will have a drawing using random.org for those who read 10 or more books throughout 2012 in that category.
You can see my map I worked on in 2011 here to see what the map looks like and how the pictures link to the reviews.  (If you zoom in you will see the individual areas I read in and clicking on the blue pins will show you what book it was and clicking on the picture will take you to the post!
That’s it!  Any questions – please leave them in the comments section below. 
I can’t wait to see WHERE You Are Reading!

And then I was visiting Yvonne's place Socrates 'Book Reviews,and saw this new challenge, which looked like fun and has a great looking button, SO,  well at least I won't be out causing trouble, right?   lol   I'll be too busy!!!   Want to join me?


A-Z Challenge 2012  Hosted by Lindsey http://www.babiesbooksandsigns.com/p/z-challenge-2012.html   

In 2011, I challenged myself to read a book starting with each letter of the alphabet. Well, I failed, but just barely. So I've decided to re-challenge myself in 2012, and invite all of you along! So here goes.


Technical Stuff

This challenge will run from January 1st, 2012 until December 31st, 2012.
You can join anytime.
If you are blogger, leave the link to your actual post about this challenge.
If you are not a blogger, leave a link to where you will be keeping track of this challenge.

So there are two different ways you can set up your own A-Z challenge.

A - Make a list now of 26 books, picking one for each letter of the alphabet. For example: A - Atonement B- Black Beauty C - The Count of Monte Cristo D - Dances with Dragons etc.

OR

B - The lazy way (how I do it) : Make a list on your blog from A-Z. Throughout the year, as you go along, add the books you are reading to the list. Hope that by the end of the year you have read one book for each letter. Towards the end of the year, you can check and see which letters you are missing and find books to fit.

Each month, I will add another challenge to this main challenge. It might to read a book with both A and Z in the title or to read a book with 3 words that all start with the same letter. I might host a few random giveaways too for good measure.

So to join along....
1. Write a blog post about this challenge and whether you are going go with A or B.
2. Add the button to your blog.
3. Attach yourself to the linky.
4. Follow my blog so that you can see when I post the monthly challenge!

hmmmm...approx 3 more weeks until January.  I'm guessing you will be seeing a few more posts just like this one!!!!


6 comments:

Marce said...

Ok I didn't know you don't actually expect to complete the challenges, lmao and sticking my tongue out at you :-p

hahahaaha Have fun

Stepping Out of the Page said...

It looks like you've got some great challenges ahead of you! Good luck with them :) I'm a new follower, by the way, so hi!

Nise' said...

These are two of my favorite challenges.

Yvonne said...

Oh no! You had show me the Where Are You Reading? challenge? That sounds like fun. You are dangerous! LOL

bermudaonion said...

Good luck!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

YAY!!!!