Photobucket

May 15, 2011

Sunday's Shining Star

I would like to explain how this came to fruition. Hubby and I were having a discussion about the old days, (for the young'ens reading this..a little history lesson) but before the dark age. When Sundays were special and had traditions and rituals. Sunday mornings Church, come home to a big gravy (sauce) cooking on the stove, a big Sunday dinner, then either off to visit relatives/friends or wait for relatives/friends to drop by. We would spend the afternoon sitting around the table, talking, catching up, having coffee, pizza, calzones, etc etc, dessert. And now, how sad, all those traditions are gone. And then I got to thinking, why not have something similar here on my blog. This past year, I have met so many amazing and wonderful people (some I now call friends) through blogging, and how I am in awe of what they do and accomplish. How much respect I have for them, for their honesty, integrity, credibility and so enjoy when a bit of their personality shines through. So every Sunday, here at my place, the coffee will be on, the dessert is on the table and friends will be stopping by. And I will be rolling out the red carpet for my Sunday Shining Star Blogger guest.
Photobucket
I was told when I first found this community of book blogging that "book bloggers were the nicest bloggers there are" and I have never forgotten those words. And over the past year, I have truly met the nicest people. I also believe, even though we live behind a screen, a bit of our personality shines through. That is one of the reasons I am having so much fun with this weekly event, and hoping you are too, because we are getting to know those "nicest bloggers" around and about bloggyland a little bit better.

If any of you notice a change in Jeff (Lori's hubby aka Dollycas's Thoughts) it is because he has had 3 weeks off and is well rested.  So he delivered the pastry and early, however, I do think a few pieces are missing...hmmmmmm?????

I am sure today's guest is known by so many of us as she has been blogging for many years.  But today we get to know her a little bit better, which I know I am looking forward to.  Since Sunday's Shining Star has been on vacation for a few weeks, I am going to start right away by introducing our special Blogger, NISE from UNDER THE BOARDWALK



*When and why did you start blogging?
I first created a blog profile and blog to have an "identity" in order to comment on other blogs as myself rather than anonymous with no intention of starting my own. One thing lead to another and I started posting. My first blog was more about my family and my faith. I discovered that I had a hard time coming up with things to write about and slowed down posting on my first blog. My book blog started as a place to do meme, giveaways, contests, etc and turned into a forum to keep track of what I've read. Once I got to know that there were other book bloggers out there, the rest is as they say, "history". Not that my family and faith are not important, but I've found my niche in book blogging. Now and then I still post on my other blog.

*How and what made you decide on the name of your blog?
I thought about some of my favorite things in order to come up with a name. I live on Lake Michigan and love our beach and boardwalk. Two places I would rather be which led to the song Under The Boardwalk that I then used for my blog name.

*What would you say is the main content of your blog?
Anything and everything about my reading life.

*If books, what genres do you mostly read?
I honestly do not have an answer. I read so many books from many genres. My favorites are historical fiction, suspense/thrillers and anything about women/families and their relationships.

*How often do you post?
Three to Five times a week

*What are some of the things that you love about blogging?
The community. Discovering new authors. Discovering new bloggers. Sharing the enthusiasm of reading with others.

*What are some of the negatives?
At times it can be a time consumer. I can get so caught up in it that I lose track of time and things that need to get done are ignored.

Photobucket

*Name 1-3 favorite items/postings that you have/do on your blog?
I enjoy participating in different memes that other bloggers host.

It is my goal to review every book I've read.

*Any advice you would give to new bloggers?
There is never a dumb question and most bloggers are more than willing to help you figure things out or tell you how they did "that".

*What draws you to follow someone's blog?
Shared reading interests.

*Do you have any "pet peeves" that other bloggers do?
None really, everyone does things differently.

*Would you plase share 5-7 things about the person behind the screen so that we get to know the "real" you!!

My very flexible day job is a Church secretary that I've enjoyed for 20 years.

My husband and I have been married 30 years.

Our children are young adults, two are not quite out of the nest. I have a daughter and two sons.

I recently celebrated my 50th birthday.

Besides reading I love to travel and go out to lunch with my friends.

Thank you Nise for being my guest today and sharing a little bit of yourself with us all.  I personally am amazed by this phenomenal blogger at the number of books she reads and reviews she writes in one week lol.  But not only that, she is a kind and genuine person which comes through in the comments that she leaves on blogs and emails she sends.  She is devoted to faith and family.  All traits that definitely make her a Shining Star!!!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, thanks for inviting Nise to be your Shining Star. I really enjoy her blog. Her review style is crisp and succinct, yet she manages to get a sense of her reactions to the book across to the reader. It's great.

Nise, I also was a church secretary for several years. That was after my accounting career and before my library career. It's a unique job that is very rewarding and very tough at times. :-)

Marce said...

I enjoy Nise's blog, she is one of the only ones that I appreciate the quick reviews from, great job Nise.

You read tons and quickly.

It was great to get to know you more, i'm sure your 50th was a special one :-)

Carol said...

Please to meet you Nise.

Thanks for another Shining Star, Cheryl. :)

carol

Nise' said...

Thank you for having me over today Cheryl!

One thing I should have included in the "person behind the screen" section, since so many ask me, is my name is pronounced KneeCee. It is shortened from my full name, Denise and has been a nickname since I was a kid.

Kay, you are so right. There are times when I don't like knowing what I know.

Marcee, thank you! My 50th was great. I got to spend it with my mom and daughter in Bremerton, WA.

DizzyC, nice to meet you too.

Gigi Ann said...

Hi Nise' I enjoy visiting your blog. I too, wonder how you get so many books read. Are you a speed reader?

I love eating lunch out with friends also, what fun. It was so nice learning more about the face behind the name.

Gigi Ann

Yvonne said...

Congrats Nise! I love your blog and this is very well deserving.

Nise' said...

Gigi Ann, I amaze myself sometimes, always have been a fast reader.

Yvonne, thanks for your kind words.

dollycas aka Lori said...

Love Nise's Blog, it is a regular Monday stop and see is one of the reason by TBR pile is so big!!!!

a PERFECT SHINING STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

bermudaonion said...

I had no idea Nise was around my age! I love her blog and it was good getting to know more about her.

Julie said...

Nice to "meet you"!

kavyen said...

I love Nise's blog..It is great to meet her here.

Darlene said...

Great post! I always enjoy stopping by Nise's blog and have for a few years now I think. It's been nice learning a bit more about her here.

Anonymous said...

Love Nise and am happy to know more about her. Thanks :)