Photobucket

June 18, 2010

Aloha Friday (1 of 5)

FRIDAY

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hosted by An Island Life
 From An Island Life:
  In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response.
  If you’d like to participate, visit An Island Life answer the question and then post your own question on your blog and leave your link below. Don’t forget to visit the other participants! It’s a great way to make new bloggy friends!
I apologize that this might be a lengthy response but with Father's Day this weekend, I remember fond memories of my Dad.
  My question is:
     Share a memory of you and your dad?
  My answer:
     Even for me this is a hard question.  I have so many good memories even though my dad passed away when I was 16 years old.
     I'll share one that was near the end.  It was right before he had gone into the hospital for the last time.  He wanted to get out of the house, so I took him with me on some errands.  I drove, and after a while, he said to me, "Who do you think you are, Mario Andretti"? You have an awful heavy foot". (for those who don't remember he was a race car driver in the Indy 500)  And I looked at him and answered "No, I take after you".  He gave me a smile/smirk and never said another word about my driving.  You see, when he was younger he was also a race car driver.

12 comments:

Suzanne said...

What beautiful and funny memory!

My father died when I was 8 so my memories of him are more flashes and images in my head without meaning, but one I remember very well. I must have been very young because we were in New Jersey and I lived there from about the ages of 3 to 5. It was after my parents had split up because I was at "his" house, not "our" house (that's how my child brain remembers it). I woke up and saw snow out the window. It might have been the first time, or close enough, that I ever saw snow since we were from Florida. I remember waking him up and then simply watching the snow and being very happy.

I am Harriet said...

Visiting my mother's grave in January.

Have a great Friday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/06/5-advertising-just-another-manic-friday-followers/

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

My favorite memories with my father are watching him act like a child at Disney World. I remember our trips from when I was a kid and then out visit last year with my children. It was so much fun seeing him enjoy the time there away from the stresses of life.

XmasDolly said...

Aloha, My memory for my dad. We went swimming, and we were in the lake, and he was playing around I'm drowning! His mouth was blowing bubbles in the water. He's yelling save me, save me! I kept walking out trying to save my dad until my mouth reached the water and then finally too far, and he laughed & picked me up as he stood up in the water! Somehow that memory was wrote in stone in my mind. He laughed and said, "That's my girl", and I was. Big time Daddy's Girl! By the way your dad was a what? Where did he race? I use to race at the U.S. 30 in a 55 Chevy called "My Little Mickey" in the Powder Puff derby when I was 18.

Julie P said...

Awwww......I love this memory! Very nice!

Rach said...

I can't think of one specific memory, but i like the fact he'sd always just a phone call away :-)

Adaptable Kay said...

Aw, what a wonderful memory to share!

Like you said, there are many memories that you can share in this situation...I think I'm going to go with the many fishing trips that we've taken in the past.

There is just so much love when your in the outdoors :)

Happy Friday!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that's exactly how he'd like to be remembered..with a chuckle and a smile. My father was a hoot - I remember when my mother asked him to spank us he'd take us in a room, put a finger up to our mouths and hit a pillow and whisper for us to yell....snicker. We loved him.

Haupi
Hauplight

Ordinary Reader said...

Hi. Returning your visit via the hop. Nice blog!
Dianne

Kailani said...

My father worked for the airlines so I remember going on trips every summer!

Auntie E said...

Oh I just love being with Dad. this is really the first Father's Day we are doiong things together. usually I am mile away with my Hubby.
My Aloha Friday Link for you

Smellyann said...

I'm trying to think of a pleasant memory with my dad, but none is springing to mind. He's not really a great person...

Thanks and please visit my new PR blog and enter the giveaway! http://notsofishyreviews.blogspot.com Thanks! =D