Photobucket

June 27, 2010

Slapdash Sunday (2 of 2)

SUNDAY

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hosted by Kayla at The Eclectic Element
Slapdash Sunday is a day for your proverbial week 'leftovers.' Is there something you wanted to say, but just forgot? Is there something you want to write about, but isn't worth a whole page? Do you have a random thought, funny or otherwise that needs to be written down?

That is what Slapdash Sunday is for!
My blog roll is getting to be as long as my tbr bucket list.  So this week I attempted to do a little summer cleaning.  I clicked on each one to see when was the last time there had been a posting.  The easy ones were those I kept because they were up to date,  and those I deleted that hadn't had a post for months.  The ones I weren't sure of what to do with, were the ones in between.  So today, my questions are:
  **How often do you do a blog roll cleaning?
  **What criteria do you use when either keeping and/or deleting blogs?
  **Do you find, and lately this has been happening to me, that there are so many blogs in my list/google reader, that they all seem to blend in together either due to similar names, same blog layout, etc. etc.  Is there a trick or tip that use on how to keep each one separate in your mind?  Is there a setting on blogger that I may be missing to put blogs in different categories like an example:  same genre,  memes, challeges, etc.?
  Would love to hear from you !!!  How do you keep your blog roll up to date and functional?

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I haven't cleaned out my blog roll since I started my blog. I have actually thought about deleting it altogether, since it's so much work to keep up with.

To keep blogs straight in my Reader, I add the blogger's name next to the blog's name.

Kaye said...

Yuck, you just reminded me of a chore I really need to do soon. My list of blogs I follow is out of control. I did click on one to see the last post and it was 9 months ago saying that blogging was too much work and that was her last post. Oh-kaaaaaay, deleted that one! Have a great Sunday, Cheryl.

Unknown said...

Cheryl, that's a hard one. I haven't done an official cleaning in a while but i do tend to delete some blogs that tend to either send too much information or who don't send info at all. You've raised a good point though.

On that last point though, i have my blogs separated into categories so that makes it easy for me to manage it. You know i may have to go in there and delete some of those blogs in the reader too! On mornings i sometimes have over 300 feeds to go thru. Crazy right??

Jan von Harz said...

It is funny cause I have been going through my reader all morning trying to visit blogs. During the Bloggiesta I did put my (over 1000) subscriptions in folders to help me keep them straight. This has helped me. I also frequently go through my blog list on my side bar, and use that for blogs I want to make sure I visit several times a week. Trouble is that is getting really long too. Good luck with getting yourself a system to help with all the blogs you follow.

Marce said...

CMash I had decided I would only put buttons on my blog of the ones I really enjoyed and wanted to visit daily or a few times a week but soon realised my top favourites didn't have buttons, I think I am going to delete buttons all together.

Blogroll for me now is the ones I don't want to get lost in my google reader and my favourites, at the moment I only have 12, I am considering going up to 20.

Blogging is hard work in the keeping things organised. Good luck

Julie P said...

I try to keep the list of blogs I follow to a limit of no more than 100. Even that is challenging sometimes because when I follow I make an honest effort to actually read all of their posts and also leave comments....

Gigi Ann said...

CMash, I am not into this blogging thing as hot and heavy as you and your commenters. I put the ones I visit in my sidebar. I try to visit and leave a comment for anyone who visits and leaves me a comment. I blog for my own entertainment, so if I have the time I try to visit all on my sidebar. If after a few visits and they don't visit me and leave a comment, I delete them off of my blogroll. Unless, I really like their blogs, then I continue visiting, but probably won't leave a comment. Does all of that make sense? LOL...