Photobucket

August 25, 2011

Booking Through Thursday





Photobucket

Today's question:
Sometimes I feel like the only person I know who finds reading history fascinating. It’s so full of amazing-yet-true stories of people driven to the edge and how they reacted to it. I keep telling friends that a good history book (as opposed to some of those textbooks in school that are all lists and dates) does everything a good novel does–it grips you with real characters doing amazing things.
Am I REALLY the only person who feels this way? When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL
My answer:
Ironically I commented on a blogging buddy's post yesterday regarding her love of this genre and how much I respected her.  I, for one do not enjoy reading books of this period.  The dialogue is hard for me to understand and it reminds me of when I was in school and it was mandatory reading.  Maybe someday when I get caught up...lol...with my tbr bookcase....I just might try reading one from that era again and I know exactly who I will go to for advice.  And that will be Bev from My Reader's Block 

8 comments:

Kate Maxwell said...

Very pretty site!
There are some good historical fictions out there... not all have dialogue that's hard to follow!
Here is my answer!

kaye said...

I don't know what the hell is going on here. I've tried to leave a comment 6 times and it keeps telling me I don't have permission to post on this page after I've selected google profile. I'm logged into my blog. I did upgrade my browser yesterday.Too weird! I had the same prob on another one of your posts but then it did show my penguin avatar and name (Kaye) but this time I can't get it to work.

Anonymous said...

My favorite genre is Historical fiction, but sometimes I enjoy true history.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_25.html

Anya Millar said...

Some historical non is good but most is too dry or convoluted.

Here's Mine: House Millar - BTT

Aine

bermudaonion said...

I don't read much history either.

Gigi Ann said...

I didn't play along today, because I very seldom read history novels, and didn't have anything to share. I played a different meme today.

Cristina said...

I agree with Ayne that some historical books are too dry and convoluted. I do love history though. I just wish they were written differently. I enjoy historical fiction though. I did a different meme. I keep forgetting this one and I like it so much.

I, too, am having problems posting.

http://www.alaskanbookcafe.com

Bev Hankins said...

Not all historical fiction is like the period fiction I read....I just like to do it the hard way. lol. Here's my BTT answer: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday-history.html