Photobucket

January 9, 2011

Slapdash Sunday Topic: News

SUNDAY
Photobucket

This post was drafted before yesterday's horrific news that came out of Arizona and now seems quite trivial in  comparison.   Please keep all those affected in your thoughts and prayers.
Photobucket
Hosted by Kayla at The Eclectic Element
Slapdash Sunday is a day for your proverbial week 'leftovers.' Is there something you wanted to say, but just forgot? Is there something you want to write about, but isn't worth a whole page? Do you have a random thought, funny or otherwise that needs to be written down?
That is what Slapdash Sunday is for!
  As some of you know, I have mentioned that I am a cable news junkie.  My morning routine is to grab my coffee, boot up the computer and turn the TV on to a cable news station.  The TV is on all day, the volume low, in case there is breaking news or something that may interest me, then I will stop and watch it.  Ever since 9/11, I have been doing this.
  The other night at supper, hubby and I were having a discussion, and I got to thinking that this might make for an interesting topic for Slapdash Sunday!!
  Photobucket
Steve and I were discussing issues that really bother us, even though some of them trivial, this one really annoys me.   And, in my opinion, you don't have to be Einstein to figure this one out, in this day and age, when the economy is so bad, but this has been done for years by many Presidents.

When a sitting President signs a bill he uses umpteen pens to sign his name.  I read somewhere that each one of those pens cost $100.+.   Wouldn't a BIC work just as well and cost the government just a few cents?  When I see that on the news, I am so tuned into those pens that I have no clue what the bill is about, because I am so mad at the waste of taxpayer money!!!

So today my questions for you are:  Is there a news item that irks you?  Something where you say.."What are they thinking?"  "Are they serious?"  Something that just irritates you?  Would love to hear your thoughts!!!  Let's have a Slapdash Discussion!!!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

why can't he just use the same pen? He has pockets in his shirt/jacket - is he not able to use them?

Julie P said...

Never really thought about it before, but you are right--the gov't could really cut back in a lot of ways. Wasteful spending is horrible!

Carol said...

My daughter C, (16) and myself were actually discussing the news today.
Our problem with the news is that trival celeb goings on can grab the headlines over much more serious issues.

We have been getting the news about the tragedy in Arizona. We are hearing about the congresswoman (I do hope she recovers very soon), but we are not hearing about the other poor souls who were caught up in it. My thoughts are with those families.

carol

Gigi Ann said...

My heart goes out to all the families involved in the tragedy in Arizona.

My pet peeve, is why all the pork bills have to be tacked onto a good bill? There is a lot of money wasted on the pork bills, for some congressman home state, and it doesn't amount to a pile of manure, just wastes the tax payers money. Look at the billions of dollars that could be saved and used for something useful.

Now I will get down off my soap-box.

bermudaonion said...

Don't even get me started on how much money the government wastes.