Photobucket

January 23, 2011

Sunday's Shining Star !!

WELCOME!!!
I would like to explain how this came to fruition. Hubby and I were having a discussion about the old days, (for the young'ens reading this..a little history lesson) but before the dark age. When Sundays were special and had traditions and rituals. Sunday mornings Church, come home to a big gravy (sauce) cooking on the stove, a big Sunday dinner, then either off to visit relatives/friends or wait for relatives/friends to drop by. We would spend the afternoon sitting around the table, talking, catching up, having coffee, pizza, calzones, etc etc, dessert. And now, how sad, all those traditions are gone. And then I got to thinking, why not have something similar here on my blog. This past year, I have met so many amazing and wonderful people (some I now call friends) through blogging, and how I am in awe of what they do and accomplish. How much respect I have for them, for their honesty, integrity, credibility and so enjoy when a bit of their personality shines through. So every Sunday, here at my place, the coffee will be on, the dessert is on the table and friends will be stopping by. And I will be rolling out the red carpet for my Sunday Shining Star Blogger guest.
Photobucket
Has this happened to you during your blogging experience, you meet someone online, start chatting, find you have similar likes in books, start visiting that person's blog and from her posts you get a feeling of her personality, start chatting some more, then find more similarities in real life and then something just clicks, and you know, that if you were to meet, that you would be bffs in real life too?  Well that has happened with my next Shining Star.  So please help me welcome this week's guest, JULIE FROM READING WITHOUT RESTRAINT 

*When and why did you start blogging?
 I was cruising the internet late one night in April '10 and I stumbled across Reading With Tequila, a wonderful book blog. Before then, I didn't even know that book blogs even existed! After that, I was hooked and I started my own book blog. No one in my immediate family is an avid reader, so it is a great way for me to share my thoughts with like-minded book addicts!

*How and what made you decide on the name of your blog?
I thought of it right away. I wanted something catchy that flowed well. I think I did pretty good!

*What would you say is the main content of your blog?
Book reviews, bookish memes, etc......

*If books, what genres do you mostly read?
My favorites (at the moment) are thriller/suspense, chick lit and women's fiction.

*How often do you post?
I try to post every day, but sometimes real life does get in the way. I am sure everyone knows how that goes?

*What are some of the things that you love about blogging?
The community! I have "met" some wonderful people that I consider true friends. I also love all of the book recommendations I have gotten. Before I started book blogging I never would have thought of reading paranormal or young adult, but now I do and I enjoy them.

*What are some of the negatives?
It is soooooo time consuming!

*Name 1-3 favorite items/postings that you have/do on your blog?
I love the memes In My Mailbox and It's Monday What Are You Reading. I find the best books to add to my TBR list that way!

*Any advice you would give to new bloggers?
Be patient--your blog will grow on its own. Be honest in your reviews. Integrity in the book blogging community is very important!

*What draws you to follow someone's blog?
The design catches my eye first. Second to that is if the blogger enjoys the same genres that I do.

*Do you have any "pet peeves" that other bloggers do?
Not really. None that I can think of anyway.

*Would you please share 5-7 things about the person behind the screen so that we get to know the "real" you!!
1. I am newly single
2. I am a horrible bookaholic! I can't seem to stop buying them.
3. I have one sister and one baby niece in Phoenix
4. I have two dogs & one cat
5. I work for the federal gov't

Julie and I have become very good friends, to the point where we even talk on the phone and are hoping to make plans to meet later this year.  It is difficult since we live on the opposite coasts of the United States.  She has such a kind, genuine, caring and huge heart.  A very emotionally strong and unconditional loving single mom who is trying (and succeeding) to teach her sons the morals and values of life.  She has been there for me during some rough times and I hope that I am offering her the same kind of support to her as she faces a difficult journey in her life.  If you haven't stopped by her blog, and you have some time, her link is provided above, she writes phenomenal reviews.  Julie not only are you a Shining Star but I have the honor to call you my friend!!


14 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

What a nice profile of Julie; off to send my congrats.

Kaye said...

Nice to know a little bit more about Julie. I'll pop in to say hi sometime this week.

dollycas aka Lori said...

I love Julie's blog and like getting to know more about her. I like that she works for the federal government, my mystery mind thinks FBI, CIA, IRS??? LOL

Cheryl, I love this Sunday visit idea!!! I woke up this morning and told hubby, I have to go to Cheryl's. :)

Teacher/Learner said...

What a great idea to get to know members of the book blogging community better! Julie's blog is one of my favourites to visit.

Carol said...

Good to find out more about you Julie.

I am already a follower of Reading without Restraint.

Thanks Cheryl for this weekly feature, am enjoying it.

carol

Nise' said...

Hi Julie! It is very nice to meet you. I love your blog design.

bermudaonion said...

This is a wonderful Shining Star! Your words about Julie at the end brought tears to my eyes, because I have made the same kind of wonderful friends through blogging.

Jackie said...

Julie as someone who has been following your blog since the beginning and loves the content it is nice to see you and Harley up top with a smile for the picture... I know the past year and more has been rough but bet a couple of times not only did books help you through but also people like Cheryl to chat with and get some new perspective on things!

The government, as in you could tell us what you do but then you would have to kill us kind of job? LOL

Julie P said...

Awwww, thanks Cheryl! I just got back into town this afternoon after heading to the coast for an overnight visit with my mama. You are one of my absolute favorite people!

And to answer everyone's question: NO, not the FBI or CIA. Just the boring old Dept of Energy....LOL

CMash said...

awwwwww geeez Julie.....and here we all have been waiting to hear some "real" spy stories...sorry gang...guess it's back to the books lol

Gigi Ann said...

Nice review, I will be going to visit Julie now. so nice to meet another book blogger.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

How lovely! It's nice to hear you have become friends outside of blogging too. Thanks for this. I've stopped by her blog a few times. i will definitely stop by more now!

Aisle B said...

Great meeting you Julie and your pups is so cute!

Welcome to the blogging world and your words of advice will help us all plug away to review for yet another day.

PS love your avatar on your blog.

Bingo said...

Thanks to Cheryl for her Shining Star, I am now off to meet a new blogger as well...thanks Cheryl and looking forward to reading Julie's blog as it must be super if you recommend it like this.