Photobucket

January 13, 2011

Thursday Memes (2 of 2)

THURSDAY
We made it through the blizzard!!!  We did, however, lose power a few times and we got over a foot of snow.  OK....I'm done with the winter...please bring on spring!!!!


Photobucket
Today's question:
Suggested by Joy:
Do you remember the first book you bought for yourself? Or the first book you checked out of the library? What was it and why did you choose it?
My answer:
Great question Joy!  I wish I could remember but can't.  The only thing I do remember is in elementary school, getting a Scholastic pamphlet and my parents allowing me to purchase books from that.  I remember getting excited seeing the pamphlets one the teacher's desk and couldn't wait to see what books were being offered and then waiting for the books to be delivered. 
Photobucket
Hosted by Lori from Dollycas's Thoughts
From Lori's site:
  It struck me recently how much time I spend on this computer every day, blogging, chatting or playing games on Facebook, emailing friends and relatives, making cards and calendars, etc. etc. etc.
  We depend on each other for book reviews, giveaways, encouragement, friendship, but how well do we really know each other?
So that is what this meme is all about, getting to know each other.
Lori states:
A little heavier this week.
  First let me say I try to keep my political opinions away from this book blog, but the events this past weekend impacted all U.S. Citizens, no matter what party you agree with or even if you don't vote at all.
  If this questions are too heavy for you, please don't run away. This tragedy has been heavy on my mind all week. If you don't want to answer the questions below just use the space this week to tell us all something about you we don't know.
1. Where were you/how did you hear about the tragedy in Tucson?
As I have stated many times before, I have my TV on from the time I get up, tuned to a cable news station from the time I get up.  I was in my office/library blogging and heard about it as soon as it hit the national news.  The TV is behind me, so I did stop blogging to watch and pay attention to what was being said.

2. Do you think it is the politicians and the news media that stir the pot to make these events more likely to happen?
My personal opinion, and this is my opinion only, is that we live in a country with freedom of speech so no, I don't think anyone or any thing can be said to create this kind of behavior.  However, I do believe that the news does at times, sensationalize this type of story.

3. Do you think we will see any changes in the way our representatives in our home states or in Washington interact with their constituents/us?
Good question, my hubby and I had this same discussion while we were watching the coverage.  We think that either our representatives/senators will have the option of secret service and/or to carry a firearm.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved those pamphlets! The Scholastic books were always the absolute best!! Thanks for reminding me!

Gigi Ann said...

Remember the first book? I can only remember what I did yesterday.. hehe

Lori said...

I don't remember first bought book, but I do remember first library book checked out. Check out my answer for Booking Through Thursday.

Anonymous said...

here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/booking-through-thursday_13.html

dollycas aka Lori said...

Thank you Cheryl for answering the hard questions. I really thought hard about them but I think the way to heal and move on from such tragedy is to talk about it and share our feelings. It always helps to look at the situation from many eyes as sometimes we can only see one thing that distracts us from moving on.

Dollycas

Julie P said...

I remember the Scholastic Book Orders too. And I really loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books, where if you decided to do this, then you turned to page 10 but if you decided to do that, you turned to page 29. Remember those??

Misha said...

I remember the first book I bought. I still have it, thought it's not in a very good condition. It was a huge book of fairy-tales.