Photobucket

December 11, 2010

A Bit Of Me

SATURDAY



Photobucket

Hosted by Danielle at There's A Book
 From Danielle's blog:
We all leave our “footprint” on the world, in one way or another. We each, individually, do something or are someone that makes the world a little better just by being here. I created this weekly meme to get to know the blogging community I love just a bit better. To know what makes them tick, outside of books, that is. Each week I will post a question to be answered in the following week’s “A Bit of Me(Me)”. Check back each Saturday to get the info for next week’s post and link up with your current post right here.
This week's question:  It’s the holidays! Do you have a favorite holiday tradition or is there one you want to start?
Read more: http://www.theresabook.com/category/a-bit-of-meme/#ixzz17WyqZYt9
We have 2.
First, Christmas Eve is our biggest tradition.  Catholic Italians, which I am one of, have a tradition of serving a dinner with a variety of 7 fishes.  For 24 years we invited immediate family and friends for a sit down dinner with many courses (I haven't done it for a few years, but sure miss doing it, because of my back..it would take 2 days to prepare).  Then around 10pm, many types of desserts would be put out and we would host an open house until the wee hours of Christmas morning.
And another tradition we started, when friends gave us a dated Hallmark Christmas Ornament, the first year we were married.  Since then we get one for every year we have been married, some of the special ones are for the year our boys were born.  The ornaments were of a crib and the other, a crib mobile.  We will have 29 this Christmas.  I can't wait to start the tradition when my boys get married.  It is fun and nostalgic, unwrapping each ornament, seeing the date and reminiscing of memories for that year.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks yummy!!

I love ornaments! I buy personalized ones for the kids every Christmas.

Marce said...

Love the ornament tradition, very nice. 29 years, that is exciting.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I love the idea of the ornaments...that sounds fabulous!

When you mentioned the seven fishes, I thought about one year in my childhood when we did a Swedish Smorgasbord (for my mother's childhood traditions), and there were lots of fishes. Ones I'd never heard of, but it was great.

Here's my post:

(click my name)

Crystal (I totally paused!) said...

Whoa, 7 kinds of fishes! How incredible! It would take me days to prepare for that too, lol.

I love the dated ornaments thing too, my parents have a bunch for different milestones as well, including for their anniversaries, marriage, the birth of the kids, etc. I only have one, for the year I graduated high school, but I do like the idea and I'll probably start getting more as the years go on as well :)

The1stdaughter said...

I love the idea of the big dinner before Christmas! Especially having everyone over and chatting the night away. Those are my favorite things to do! Just graze and chat all night, love it!

I've always loved ornaments, but didn't start collecting the Hallmark ones until we were married as well. I'd completely forgotten about this tradition! My mother-in-law got us one the year we were married and then one for each of the kids as well. Since then we also try and pick up one each year. I just love the assortment, though we have a few more years before we reach 29. Still so much fun!

Julie P said...

Very nice, Cheryl.....

Jackie said...

Hallmark does have some beauties Cheryl and happy days that you found one for each year!

jackie >_<