Photobucket

October 26, 2010

Fall Into Reading 2010--Week's Question #5 (2 of 2)




Hosted by Katrina from CALLAPIDDER DAYS
This week's question:
When you read a book, do you read EVERYTHING? In other words, do you read the dedication, the acknowledgement, the foreword, the afterword, the prologue, the epilogue, the appendices, etc.? Or do you just read the “meat” of the book? Or is your approach somewhere in between?
My answer:
I am a somewhere in between reader.   I tend to either skim or even skip  over the acknowledgements, especially if it is a long list.  I am sure that I won't know anyone on that page lol and when there is a long list, I understand it is important to the author and those named, but it's like watching an award show.  The afterword depends on the subject matter.  Prologue and Epilogue are a definite because, to me that is also part of the "meat" of the story.  And if it's a book I really enjoy, I look and hope for a synopsis of the next book that will be published and it goes on my tbr bucket list.
OK....your turn....what kind of reader are you?


7 comments:

Kristin said...

I think you and I are on the same page - I tend to read almost everything and I absolutely love when there is a sneak peak of the next book coming out!

My full answer is here.

Nise' said...

I read it all!

Julie said...

Like you, I don't read long acknowledgments. I do love reading forewords that are entertaining and I always read prologues and epilogues.

Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

Unknown said...

Me, too!
My answer to this week’s challenge question is here

bermudaonion said...

I'm the same as you - right in the middle.

Carol said...

I tend to skip the acknowledgements...I dont recognise anyone on there :)

I read the foreward, and epilogues.
I get put off it there a lot of rescource references in books based on facts, but have been known to check these out, but it stops the flow of a book.

carol

Julie P said...

I usually read the dedication, the story and then the epilogue. And if there is a short bio on the author, I will read that too. That's it though. I am too impatient to read all of the acknowledgements--I want to get to the good part!