Photobucket

October 18, 2010

Musing Mondays (1 of 3)

MONDAY

Photobucket

 
Photobucket

Hosted by Miz B at Should Be Reading
Today's Question:
Do you prefer hardcovers, trade paperbacks (the bigger ones), or mass market paperbacks (the smaller ones)? Why?

My Response:
This is a difficult question and hard to answer concisely unless I leave it at "it depends".  I am ambivalent on all types of books.  HC:  I prefer holding and reading them while sitting in my reading spots (except for the pool), the way they look in my bookcases and think they are easier to handle when reading in bed but on the other hand, they are a nuisance to carry around, usually can't fit in pocketbook, take up a lot of room, in the summer won't read one while sitting on a float in the pool, would never think of dog earring a page and most importantly, the price.  PBs: (trade) like the look and size of the book, even though it is usually can't fit in purse for on the go but find it very hard to read in bed and don't like the price.  PBs: (mass market).  A little easier to shove in purse, will read while in the pool, and the price is a little bit better.  Don't like how they look in a bookcase after reading and find it harder to read while in bed.  Since I have an EReader will add the pros and cons.  Easy to transport, the price!!!!!!, accessing a book within seconds, easy to handle in any reading spot especially when reading in bed.  The only cons, I think at least with mine, is no backlight and because at the time I spend reading, I need to recharge the battery often.
With all the choices on types of books and including all the good and bad features, I would say that overall my favorite is my EReader.

8 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

If a book is available in trade size, that's what I'll buy. I prefer it to mass market as well as hardcover.

Unknown said...

My favorite is my eReader as well. I love that it feels like the hardback - which would have been my #1 before my eReader. I love the convenience of carrying a library with me at all times. Nookie & Hardbacks both fit just right in my hand & since I choose a book-light that clips onto my eReader book-like cover & takes batteries instead of using my Nook's charge I can read for HOURS! (if you watch the meritline.com sales you can pick up a light like mine for less than a buck...)

Gigi Ann said...

I like them all, however, I do have my favorite.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I do have my favorites for various reasons...I agree with what you're saying, but here is what I wrote:

Click on my name....

Kristin said...

I don't have an ereader, but I can see how that might be easier.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Julie P said...

My Nook and tradesize are my favorite. Hardcovers are too bulky and mass market are too small for reading on the bus....

La Coccinelle said...

I like my e-reader, too! All the books weigh the same and you don't have to worry about anything stuck between the pages (especially if it's a library book).

caite said...

I totally agreed with you...until you got to the PB...I hate them. I find them harder to hold, even if they are smaller, and way too expensive for what you get. and the spines crack and they look nasty...
...and don't even get me started on the issues with e-books. :-)