Photobucket

October 24, 2010

Slapdash Sunday Topic: Christmas

SUNDAY

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hosted by Kayla at The Eclectic Element

Slapdash Sunday is a day for your proverbial week 'leftovers.' Is there something you wanted to say, but just forgot? Is there something you want to write about, but isn't worth a whole page? Do you have a random thought, funny or otherwise that needs to be written down?
That is what Slapdash Sunday is for!
Today's Topic:  Christmas
I double checked the calendar twice the other day.  As I have said in the past, I always have the TV on, tuned in to one of the cable news channels, with the volume low, just in case of breaking news (habit I have had since 9/11)  Sorry...getting back to what I was saying.  I was on the computer, my back to the TV and I did a double take when I heard the music, think I even caused a mild whiplash that I turned around so fast.  And there on the TV, a Christmas commercial!!!  Knowing that I tend to suffer from senior moments, I checked the calendar, twice.  Thinking I may have missed something, as in time, but NO, there on my calendar it was October still!!!  So it got me thinking.........
Photobucket
Am I the only one that thinks it is a little too early for Christmas commercials, displays in stores, music on the radio?  We haven't even celebrated Halloween or Thanksgiving!!  However or for whatever reason you celebrate Christmas, do you think its too early to start with commercials?  Do you think it takes away from the real meaning?  Do you think it causes more stress on some people?  When do you think it should make its retail debut?
Would love to know your thoughts!!  Let's have a Slapdash Discussion!!


11 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I do think it's too early! We are generally one of the last ones in our neighborhood to decorate. Having the decorations up for a short time is part of what makes them so special.

Unknown said...

lol, the same thing happened to me earlier this month. I was in a taxi heading to work and the station that the driver was listening too played Christmas carols all the way to my destination. And this was in the beginning of October. For us, this kind of thing is not weird since the day after Christmas is considered the start of Carnival. So we have gotten used to hearing Christmas music early in the year but i think this year was the earliest...lol

CMash said...

I agree Kathy.

Christmas music the beginning of October seems a bit early to me Lesley-Ann.

Teacher/Learner said...

Totally agree! In Canada, we celebrate Thanksgiving in October about 3 weeks before Hallowe'en and stores get X-mas decorations up between then & Hallowe'en, then right on Nov. 1, it's an X-mas melee--music, decorations, commercials, everything. Have you ever seen The Nightmare Before Christmas? It's so true :D

Carol said...

It seems to get earlier every year!
Christmas cards were in the card shop at beginning of October.

Let us get Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night (in Uk) over with before we think of Christmas.

I notice people put up their decorations very early too. I stick with the traditional 12 days before Christmas day and the decs come down on 2nd January.

carol

CMash said...

Teacher/Learner:
You taught me something new today. I did not know the Canadian custom. I love learning about people, different traditions, different religions, different everything, thats why I have a habit of asking a lot of questions, not to be newsy, but to learn. Thank you.

Carol:
I'm with you. I block out Christmas until after Thanksgiving here in the states.

Julie P said...

Way too early! Although I did just pick up a few gifts the other day....

Gigi Ann said...

I haven't celebrated Christmas for 35 years. So any music, decorations, etc. is to early for me.

We were shopping on Friday, and I noticed in the stores the Christmas decorations, tress and so forth are out. I don't even shop if I can help it in Nov. and Dec. because of all the Christmas music, etc. I just get sick of hearing it. And the commercials drive me crazy, so I watch very little TV during now and the new year. When I do, I mute the commercials.

CMash said...

Julie:
I agree...way to early!!!

Ann:
I know that for me, seeing all the commercials so early and even around Christmas, stresses me out more than usual because I never know what to buy for gifts. We only do immediate family because it was getting out of hand, expensive and you can find just a "little something" without spending a lot.

Unknown said...

I agree that it's completely too early! I was in the store on Friday looking for Halloween candy & it had all been moved to a discount rack & there were aisles of Christmas things in their place. I was in shock! I never did find any Thanksgiving things.

CMash said...

Gina:
Because I am not allowed to drive yet, hubby has been going to the store for me. I can't believe that the candy was already put aside!! Did I miss it on my calendar lol?